Pages

Friday 3 April 2015

Spring Breeeeaaak!

Aloha E Komo Mai!

(I just watched Lilo and Stitch, and they sing that in the theme song)

Spring Break is now over, so I'm back doing classes now, studying for midterms and stuff. But I'm hoping my spring break happiness will float me through all the tests and assignments.

So here's what I did for Spring Break!

It started off well, with a relaxing evening with my girl Audrey Hepburn in Funny Face:

Audrey was excellent, as always


On the first day, Georgia, Mike and I went mopedding around the island, exploring Oahu and all it's wonders. 



The mopes feat. Georgia

Cruising past Waikiki

Some surfing spots below Diamond Head

The moped gang (The Fast Felicia's)

One of the gang members 

We cruised all up the east side, with beautiful beaches beside us the whole way up.

Stopped at a place called The Shack in Kailua and got some mean as burgers with curly fries!

My burger and curlies (which I finished coz I am a champ)

We stopped off at Eternity Beach which has its name because it was the beach in the movie 'From Here to Eternity'.
Eternity Beach

Heading down to the beach

A turtle popped up to say hello

After lots of exploring and adventuring on our mopeds, we went to The Modern to have a bit of a relax:



Then we went and got cheesecakes to eat while we watched the fireworks at Waikiki!



My cheesecake - think it was raspberry and lemon cream. YUM

After the fireworks, we weren't quite ready to stop mopedding so we drove up a mountain and looked at the pretty city lights of Honolulu:



The next day we hiked Diamond Head and got a good view of Honolulu during the day time:




Açai bowls for refreshing and fuelling ourselves

We went on a trip to Pearl Harbour which was cool. A liiiiittle bit boring, but still worth the trip.

Catching the boat out to the USS Arizona memorial

The memorial

A bit of the ship

That part was pretty cool, you could see the remains of the ship still under the water. Apparently the bodies never got taken out of the ship, so their spirits linger on..



Then my next adventure was.... MAUI!
Hopped on a couple of buses, hopped on a plane, and boom. Maui.

These are very bad pictures, but it's what I saw from the plane:

Flying over Molokai

Molokai

And here comes Maui!



We rented a sweet as minivan for our crew and managed to squeeze everyone in:


(Plus Margaux is in the back - she didn't make the pic)


No time was wasted as we hit the road and went on an adventure along the road to Hana.







Our car and driver (Coco)





Stopped off at a cool place called Garden of Eden where there were little walks to see waterfalls, plants and awesome views.
There was even a peacock:



Wisdom






See that rock like, in the middle of the picture where there's the gap? That's the rock the helicopter flies past in the opening scene of Jurassic Park. Cool eh.

Dripping walls
Stopped by this bridge to climb down the side coz we could see a cool waterfall


And this was the cool waterfall

Double waterfall!

We went swimming in the pool below the waterfalls and we were sitting behind one of them, it was so awesome! Some of the others got cool GoPro pics from behind the waterfall, so when I get my hands on those, I'll post them!
But I got a couple of selfies with the waterfalls:




Disobeying the law

The rest of the drive was really nice, but we all got super hungry. So we stopped off for some food and ate it at this cool beach while it got dark:






The next morning we were up at 4am to drive to the top of the volcano on Maui, Mt Haleakalā so we could see the sunrise!
Totally worth the early wake up.
Prepare for a montage of heaps of sunrise pics:


















That's me on the right, deep in thought while watching the newly-risen sun

 Some of the keen sunrise-watchers

The sunlit crater trails
Foggy Maui


This might not look like a super cool pic, but those two lumps are the two mountains on the Big Island

Mauna Kea is the world's tallest sea mountain, and it's taller than Mt Everest from its base at the ocean floor. The other one, Mauna Loa is the largest mountain in the world (it covers lots of space)

Me and the lumps!


These plants are silver swords which are only found on the volcanos of Maui and the Big Island. It's super rare!





Everyone was really tired after that so we just chilled on a beach for the rest of the day!



That night we hung out at the hostel, playing pool and foosball and stuff, it was real fun!


The next day we went snorkelling with the good people at the Banana Bungalow (where we were staying). The van had a fatty boomba Hawaiian dashboard dancer:


A view on the drive

Stopped off to get some food and I found these! :O

Snorkelling was awesome, saw heaps of tropical fish and a turtle! He was a huge one!
Then we played some volleyball:



And chilled out under some palm trees:


I wasn't even worried about a coconut falling on me.
Lol, yes I was.

Then it was Mai Tai time!
We went to a cool place called Life's a Beach and got drinks and food and had a great time.

My Mai Tai

From there, it was straight across the road to the beach to watch the sunset. Soooo beautiful.
My phone died so I didn't take any pictures, but I do have this snapchat:




The next morning Chef Madeleine prepared some exquisite pancakes for herself and topped them with sliced bananas and a maple syrup drizzle. Fluffiest pancakes ever.

Pick up your game IHOP

Very happy with my life choices, I set off with the others for a whale watching trip!




I dedicate these next few photos to my darling sister, Kate:

Male whale on the left, mama whale and her baby on the right

This one obviously heard my whale calls

Whale tail!

Helloooooo


It was super fun, we were constantly surrounded by whales, every way we looked! And they put a microphone under the water so we could hear them singing.

Stopped at a little beach where there were so many beached turtles! Sixteen in fact!


Me and Crush





Got some lunch in Pā'ia and went to the beach there.


Sun setting at Paia

When we got back to the hostel, we pretty much hopped in the taxi straight away!
Off to the airport we went.
The taxi guy was cool (kinda crazy), he gave us each a mini torch so we could tell people that he brought light into our lives. Hahahahahahahaha. Stephen.


Getting ready to fly back:



Man, Maui was amazing. A pretty fab way to spend spring break I reckon!

And when I got back, Yuki gave me some M&M's that she got in New York!

             


Did some grocery shopping and got some kabocha (pretty sure that just means pumpkin in Japanese) which was from New Zealand!
      
  


Omg and then when I was waiting for the bus, there was this super weird couple:



It got a lot weirder.

Went for a nice walk up the valley, and if you looked up the valley, it was cloudy and raining:



But then when you looked towards Honolulu, it was nice!


Crazy.


Yesterday when I got home from class I had a parcel waiting for me filled with wonderful things sent from some of my lovely fans:


Shout out to my home girls, Soph and Ange xoxo
It made my day!

I'll finish with some food pics:

Made a chocolate chia seed pudding because I'm in love with the cocoa:



Today was suuuuuper hot and humid so I had to get a Chunky Strawberry bowl from Jamba Juice.

Chunky strawberry bowl - yum yum yum yum


And dinner:
Pumpkin pasta made using my NZ kabocha

Aaaaand now I'm chillin'! Ready for some more fun times in the Easter weekend!

Hope you made it through this blog post alright, it felt like a long one.

Mahalo for reading!

Madeleine
xoxoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment